Location: San Jose / Remote
Senior Digital Lighting Artist
Outward Inc. is a visual transformation technology company. Since 2012, our team of inventors, technologists, brand experts, and changemakers, have been reinventing the retail customer shopping journey through innovations in product visualizations.
Using cutting-edge 3D, AR/VR, and web technologies, Outward is bringing the advantages of automated, AI-perfected product photography to our clients — allowing them to produce a large volume of product images at the push of a button and publish them in any format — from e-commerce to traditional media.
These innovations enable a breadth of digital experiences and meaningful interactions between manufacturers and retailers of all sizes, and their customers.
Outward, Inc. is based in San Jose, CA and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Williams Sonoma, Inc. (www.outwardinc.com). Outward, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Role
In the Senior Lighting Artist role, you will be responsible for building scenes/environments to create photorealistic content, with scale in-mind. You will work with cross-functional teams to develop new experiences and products, by lending lighting knowledge, post-processing expertise, and developing PoCs.
- 65% Create photoreal digital content
- Create content in support of varying applications, ranging from 2D to AR/VR
- Collaborate with artists and engineers to create compelling lighting for a variety of environments and applications while maintaining a consistent style.
- 35% You will frame and light products in a way that elevates the marketability of products
- Create templates to light products to customer styling preferences following guidelines
- Create templates that work cohesively with internal processes
- 10% Support the draft rendering team, as needed
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Game Art Design, Visual Effects, Animation or related field (an equivalent combination of related education, training, and experience may be considered)
- You have 3-5 years relevant work experience
- You are experienced in creating scenes with intricate lighting
- You are a creative individual with an excellent eye for quality and detail, knowledge of lighting techniques and experience in creating photorealistic content
- You are well organized and able to keep projects moving, able to work individually and as a part of a team
- You have excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work with little to no supervision
- You can create, maintain, and communicate documentation for lighting guidelines and implementation techniques
- A portfolio that demonstrates the ability to use light, shadow, and color to create a variety of tones and moods
- Experience in at least one 3D modeling software (e.g. 3dsMax, Maya, Blender)
- Thorough understanding of ray-traced lighting software & techniques. (V-ray, Arnold, Cycles, Octane, Redshift etc.)
- Experience with multiple rendering engines, and complex lighting setups
- Familiar with Adobe Photoshop
- Familiar with GSuite (Google Sheets)
Benefits Just for You
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Paid time off
- Company-sponsored team events such as regular staff parties
- Fantastic new headquarters
- Fully stocked kitchens with catered lunches twice a week
- On-site gym
- Office dogs! Bring your furry pal with you to work
- Friendly, caring co-workers and management
Why you will love working at Outward, Inc.
- We’re a successful, fast-growing company with an entrepreneurial vibe
- A technologically and data-driven business
- Competitive salaries and comprehensive health benefits
- We’re at the forefront of tech and eCommerce, redefining technology for the next generation
- We’re passionate about our internal and external clients and live/breathe the client experience
- We get to be creative daily
- A smart, experienced leadership team that wants to do it right and is open to new ideas
- We believe in autonomy and reward taking initiative
- We have fun!
This position Will Not offer relocation, remote work, or Visa Sponsorship assistance.