Location: San Jose / Remote
Who is Outward Inc?
Outward Inc. is a visual transformation technology company. Since 2012, our team of inventors, technologists, brand experts, and changemakers, have been reinventing the retail customer shopping journey through innovations in product visualizations.
Using cutting-edge 3D, AR/VR, and web technologies, Outward is bringing the advantages of automated, AI-perfected product photography to our clients from e-commerce to traditional media.
These innovations enable a breadth of digital experiences and meaningful interactions between manufacturers and retailers of all sizes, and their customers.
Outward, Inc. is based in San Jose, CA and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Williams Sonoma, Inc. (www.outwardinc.com). Outward, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Role
Outward is seeking an energetic and talented engineering director to lead development activities and deliver high-value, high-quality features and experiences for our industry-leading eCommerce sites. At Outward, we produce high volume and high quality photo realistic visualizations for numerous and continuously evolving interactive applications and experiences (desktop and mobile) supporting our parent company’s retail industry-leading websites including Williams-Sonoma, west elm, and the Pottery Barn family. This role will work across the entire functional domain of all the brands.
The ideal candidate would have the ability to attract, recruit and retain the industry’s best talent and have the technical chops to effectively influence/participate in architectural discussions, strategic planning, roadmaps, and decisions to ensure we build impactful, compelling, and scalable solutions in an incremental fashion, unlocking hyper-growth, data-driven decision making and creating a world of possibilities for our customers/business.
Success in the role requires agility and results orientation, strategic and innovative thinking, a proven track record of delivering new customer-facing software products at scale, rigorous analytical skills, and a passion for automation and data-driven approaches to solving problems.
- Lead engineering delivery and roadmap strategy for Ensemble product line.
- Collaborate with Product Management and Business partners as needed to drive results.
- Effectively lead and/or influence architectural discussions and decisions to ensure scalable and flexible solutions are delivered.
- Estimate development effort, perform resource allocation and plan implementations and system rollouts.
- Develop a solid understanding of critical systems and processes and drive continuous improvements as well as identify and address opportunities for simplification and automation..
- Attract, select and retain critical talent for the team; coach team members in coding and professional soft skills.
- Provide clear, specific goals to the team and communicate performance feedback regularly through regular 1-1 meetings and performance review.
- Facilitate Communities-of-Practice in critical technologies.
- Assist in continually improving the Engineering organization and making it a great place to work.
- Perform other duties as required.
- 10+ years of overall experience in developing and delivering data driven desktop and mobile applications with multiple active tracks. Extra points for experience in one or more domains including visualization technologies, AR/VR, eCommerce and/or retail.
- 5+ years of experience building and managing a medium-scale (10-20) team of engineers, leads, and managers. Track record of continuously optimizing workforce.
- Ability to matrix manages projects through the entire lifecycle (concept to completion).
- Strong project management skills with the ability to lead technical professionals.
- Ability to systematically gather relevant information from different sources to address an issue and make a prompt and insightful decision.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Ability to build constructive business relationships and gain the trust of others.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate, mitigate, and resolve conflicts across workgroups.
- Proven experience in developing and executing plans, meeting deadlines and operating under tight time constraints.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including such areas as team spirit, negotiation, collaboration, pitching in where needed, valuing and respecting individuals irrespective of seniority levels.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively and influence others within a matrix environment.
- Comfortable with some ambiguity and calculated risk-taking.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent work experience.
Benefits Just for You
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Paid time off
- Company-sponsored team events such as regular staff parties
- Friendly, caring co-workers and management
Why you will love working at Outward, Inc.
- We’re a successful, fast-growing company with an entrepreneurial vibe
- A technologically and data-driven business
- Competitive salaries and comprehensive health benefits
- We’re at the forefront of tech and eCommerce, redefining technology for the next generation
- We’re passionate about our internal and external clients and live/breathe the client experience
- We get to be creative daily
- A smart, experienced leadership team that wants to do it right and is open to new ideas
- We believe in autonomy and reward taking initiative
- We have fun!
This position Will Not offer relocation, or Visa Sponsorship assistance